Monday, September 29, 2008

Weekend fun and New Hobbies

First I will tell you about my new hobby...Quilting! It has been proven to be alot of fun. When I was young I would sit with my Great Grandmother as she would sew. She was amazing at it. She could take something we were wearing turn it into a pattern and then make it. Last year when Joe and I moved to Uruguay a good friend of ours named Toni began to teach me some of the basics of sewing and quilting. Then when we moved to Sao Paulo, I met Sue! Sue has moved my desire to learn to quilt into a reality. I am currently finishing my first Sampler quilt, a sampler quilt is a quilt where ever block is different, each block uses a different technique or method and so you learn to do it all while making it.
So on Saturday, Joe and I, along with many of the ladies that are a part of my quilting group went to the "Gaudi House". Named after an arcitect from Spain whose style was very similar. Estevao, the owner of the home has spent the last 23 years creating this masterpeice and it still working on it. We had so much fun, the home has many differnt levels and different ways to get up to the roof, I can only compare it to cave exploration. Last year the BBC wrote an article about him and his house. You can read it at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7016930.stm.






Quilting pictures coming soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Melissa!

I just finished my sampler quilt right before I moved to TX in July. You'll have to send pics of your quilt - I'd love to see it! I'm actually in the process of getting a quilting project going between my two dorms of girls to donate with the Habitat house LeTU sponsors every year. Should be very cool. Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting! :)

Love y'all muchly!
Laura

NoPermanentAddy said...

Loved the house... Haven't been to Thailand, yet. We're going in November... I'll let you know how it goes! Also, email me your address in Brazil (or facebook message me).

Anonymous said...

I love the kid raising the roof. (Who would have thought raising the techo would be cool in Brazil, too? I figured stuff like that got lost in translation...wait, he's probably not raising the roof, is he?)

Betsy said...

Hi Melissa!
Thanks for your super sweet comment on my blog!!! I am so glad to see you are doing well and enjoying your journey with the Lord. (Isn't it a wild and wonderful adventure!!!)

Blessings to you and Joe!!!

Take care,
Betsy