Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Suffering for the Lord


Recently a terrible thing happened in the Mott household. I (Joe) was being a good husband and washing the dishes after dinner. It was a quiet evening. Music was playing in the background. All was well until the coffee pot slipped in my hand and cracked! Tragedy was brewing. Joe without coffee is like...well I’m not really sure. There's no analogy to properly describe what would happen without a coffee.

My loving wife suggested, as if it was no big deal, "Well, we'll just get another one when we go back to the states at the end of the month." She smiled. Apparently she thought this was a viable solution. She must have thought, "it'll be good for him to cut down on the coffee for a little while.”

I looked at my wife with a confused expression. "That's a month away," I reasoned, "You want to just not have coffee for a whole month?" The caffeine headaches seemed to already be arriving. In the back of my mind, I began to worry about the future of my marriage. After all, for her to just flippantly think it's no big deal not to have coffee, clearly shows a lack of understanding in our relationship.

Now you must understand. In the US we would simply by another coffee pot the next day at Wal-Mart. We'd spend 15 bucks, and it'd be no big deal. However for some odd reason, certain things have obscene prices here in Brazil. A 15 dollar coffee pot, runs for a good 45 dollars here. And I just have issues with paying 45 dollars for a piece of plastic, that doesn't even heat the coffee up to a respectable temperature.

Long story short…my wife, while not personally affected by this tragedy, out of the love of her heart hunted for the cure to my problems. This picture shows the short-term solution. That's right; the missionaries are suffering in the third-world country. Have pity on us. Life is hard. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And what is that really, I mean, in the picture. Is it a pot? A jug? A pitcher? A coffee pitcher?! Great solution, for sure, but is drinking coffee from a pitcher acceptable? Ahh, who cares, I feel the caffeine headaches already coming.
Hope you guys are OK!